The Department of Juvenile Services (DJS) is an executive agency whose primary task is to appropriately manage, supervise and treat youth who are involved in the juvenile justice system in Maryland.
DJS is involved in nearly every stage of the juvenile justice process from the moment a youth is brought into a juvenile intake center by the police or as a result of a citizen complaint to the time when a youth returns to the community after completing treatment.
By law, DJS is a child-serving agency responsible for assessing the individual needs of referred youth and providing intake, detention, probation, commitment, and after-care services.
DJS collaborates with youth, families, schools, community partners, law enforcement, and other public agencies to coordinate services and resources to contribute to safer communities.
Successful Youth, Strong Leaders, Safer Communities.
- Reduce violence against children through collaboration with law enforcement and other agency partners.
- Reduce recidivism for supervised or committed youth.
- Keep supervised and committed youth safe while holding youth accountable for their actions.
- Promote continuums of care for referred and delinquent youth.
- Build, maintain and empower a diverse, competent, and professional workforce.
- Enhance the quality, availability and use of technology.
Our Customer Service PromiseThe State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with services in the following manner:
- Friendly and Courteous: We will be helpful and supportive and have a positive attitude and passion for what we do.
- Timely and Responsive: We will be proactive, take initiative, and will try to anticipate your needs.
- Accurate and Consistent: We will always aim for 100% accuracy, and be consistent in how we interpret and implement State policies and procedures.
- Accessible and Convenient: We will continue to simplify and improve access to information and resources.
- Truthful and Transparent: We will advance a culture of honesty, clarity, and trust. Resolution: We will inform constituents clearly and concisely and provide assistance in a timely manner.
For more information on the State of Maryland's customer service program, or to submit a suggestion, please visit Maryland.gov/CustomerService.